Friday, February 8, 2008

28Jan2008

Spruce Hill hike of Monday, 28Jan2008, 3 hour mid-day walk, with sunny skies and temps in the low forties, patches of snow still tucked here and there on the north facing slopes.

Purpose was to evaluate a recent survey, where it borders Spruce Hill, and also to fine tune the boundary marks along the western edge.

Starting at the southwest corner of the isthmus, I retraced the boundary line along a portion of this line. The wind gets so fierce rushing up the west face of Spruce Hill, that I found a corn shuck deposited amongst the leaves at the very top of the crest. It had to have come from the fields below, whose elevation is several hundred feet less.

There are several small but nonetheless, 'wild' and icy waterfalls along the west face. No wildlife found. I did find a plant that I believe to be a common elder, based on the shape of the umbel. There are many, many rosettes of garlic mustard along this western ridge crest, more than I've seen anywhere else on Spruce Hill. With pleasure, I remind myself that all that green that I see now portends of vats of yummy, garlic mustard pesto to come in the spring.

I'll continue to fine tune boundary markers, with my goal to complete before the April wildflower pilgrimage.

No comments: